Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Give her a headstart .... it gives her the illusion she is being followed"

      Peter O'Toole in 'My favorite year' 1982

   This quote caught my attention this morning... but more impressive were the streaming sounds (soundtrack) of  Les Paul , with layers of Mary Ford. 
  In 1977,  I was a 'nourishment girl' at the local hospital.  Mary Ford ... given name Iris COLEEN Summers (Les picked her name for accounting purposes, from the local phone book.) 
   Mary was Born July 7, 1924 in El Monte California passed away Sept. 30  1977 in Arcadia CA.
   'Mary'  was in the hospital, in a diabetic coma.  The nursing staff played Les and Marys music at her bedside around the clock... and when I hear those unmistakable, almost haunting sounds... I am transported to a kinder time in my own life.  I would look forward to taking her nourishment, and to listen to her music (all diabetic patients received between meal snacks, and I guess it didn't matter that she was sleeping-).   I would stay close by, for as long as possible, but cautious that I not to be too obvious.  I sincerely hoped she was listening  and that it was giving her comfort.
  Less than ten years earlier, my dad brought home an "album", an L.P. (Vinyl Record) of his friend, Bob Summers (Mary Fords' little brother).  He purchased it and shared it, and frankly, I played the record on the record player (Hi-Fi) so often, the  grooves and scratches were more audible than his music.
  I bet there isn't a person on this planet that hasn't been changed for the better by Les Paul.   A pioneer way before his time and his contribution to music history and the generations to follow was priceless.
   Les Paul,   couldn't  have made the impact he did without his then wife Mary.  They used a new technique called 'close miking' where  the microphone is placed less than 6 inches from her mouth.  Mary would use Les' new techniques and harmonize with her own voice.  (I bet Phil Spector spent time studying Les and Mary).  Maybe even my favorite musical genius, Brian Wilson.  I am certain Paul, John, George and even Ringo were followers.
  Les and Mary were together as a musical team from 1950-1954.  One of the videos below shows Mary playing next to Les (I did not know she was also gifted with guitar). 
 My dad would have been 11-15 years old during their time of huge popularity.  I am not sure when Bob was his buddy, or how close their friendship was.  I live vicariously through others life experience'.
  I know the 'Valley' that they had lived in...  was much more rural then, more land, room to grow, area to farm. Times were simple, people were friendly.  Television was a new phenomenon.  Les Paul and Mary Ford were right there.
  I have read that Mary had remarried, and spent her last (she was only 53 at the time of her death) years with her husband and was still living in the same general area.  She had continued to perform with family members mostly.  Bob Summers had recorded with Capital Records and was part of "The Mike Curb" experience. Mary, along with Bob and other talented siblings, would perform on the famous Hollywood Sunset Strip in nightclub(s).
  In this advanced age of Google, You Tube, instant everything, we don't have the benefit of those simple days.  When family meant something, Dad would take the only car off to work, mom was home with the kids. The Milk Man came before breakfast, The Helms Man mid day, the local Photographer pulled up in a big 'Wagon', we knew well the 'mail man' and our neighbors.  Families ate dinner together, and kids played  "red light, green light" and sang "The farmer in the dale" until dusk. 
  Maybe it's age...   I love going back in my mind.  Hearing Les Paul and Mary Ford this morning, took me back.   If somehow you have not ever heard of them, check these videos out.    Vaya con Dios.
 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Df09Sodpk


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfyQkhbCvJQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfyQkhbCv

No comments:

Post a Comment